Plumbing Diagnoses & Repair
Plumbing Diagnoses & Repair – How do you diagnose a plumbing leak?
Test for Hidden Leaks.
The vast majority of leaks occur at or near plumbing fixtures like tubs, sinks and toilets.
But if you suspect a leak in the water supply system, there’s a simple way to check it— even if the pipes are hidden inside walls.
First, turn off all your faucets.
How to find the source:
- If you have a shower door, splash water all around the door and frame. Leaks around the frame may take five minutes or longer to show up.
- If the door has rubber gaskets or a rubber door sweep, check them for gaps.
- Also check for any gaps in the caulk where the shower or tub meets the flooring.
How to fix it:
- Be sure to overlap sliding doors correctly when you close them. The inner door should be closest to the faucet.
- If you have a shower curtain rather than a door, make sure you close it completely when you shower, or add a splash guard.
- Seal a leaking frame by running a small bead of tub and caulk around the inside of the frame.
- Force the caulk into any gaps between the frame and the shower surround. Quickly wipe away all the excess caulk. When the caulk dries, test for leaks again.
- Replace any worn gaskets or door sweeps. Bring the old one to a home center or plumbing supply store and look for a matching replacement (be sure to get the correct size to fit).
- If the old caulk along the floor shows gaps, scrape it out and run a new bead.
Test a shower door
Splash water all around a shower door. If water seeps out from behind the frame, caulk the frame on the inside.
Run a new bead along the floor/tub joint.
Splash leaks are simply water escaping past a shower curtain or a shower door. Plumbers tell us it’s the most common type of bathroom leak.
Although it may sound minor, this leak causes major damage when water seeps into the subfloor where flooring meets the tub or shower.
Before long the vinyl flooring or tiles begin to loosen.
Even worse, the plywood subfloor delaminates and rots, requiring a huge, expensive tear out and replacement project.
Our plumbers are highly trained and experienced.
Therefore we provide the most effective and durable repairs in the plumbing industry however and most importantly we are still affordable.